Live in such a way that if someone spoke badly of you, no one would believe it.
- push yourself to get up before the rest of the world - start with 7am, then 6am, then 5:30am. go to the nearest hill with a big coat and a scarf and watch the sun rise.
2. push yourself to fall asleep earlier - start with 11pm, then 10pm, then 9pm. wake up in the morning feeling re-energized and comfortable.
3. erase processed food from your diet. start with no lollies, chips, biscuits, then erase pasta, rice, cereal, then bread. use the rule that if a child couldn’t identify what was in it, you don’t eat it.
4. get into the habit of cooking yourself a beautiful breakfast. fry tomatoes and mushrooms in real butter and garlic, fry an egg, slice up a fresh avocado and squirt way too much lemon on it. sit and eat it and do nothing else.
5. stretch. start by reaching for the sky as hard as you can, then trying to touch your toes. roll your head. stretch your fingers. stretch everything.
6. buy a 1L water bottle. start with pushing yourself to drink the whole thing in a day, then try drinking it twice.
7. buy a beautiful diary and a beautiful black pen. write down everything you do, including dinner dates, appointments, assignments, coffees, what you need to do that day. no detail is too small.
8. strip your bed of your sheets and empty your underwear draw into the washing machine. put a massive scoop of scented fabric softener in there and wash. make your bed in full.
9. organise your room. fold all your clothes (and bag what you don’t want), clean your mirror, your laptop, vacuum the floor. light a beautiful candle.
10. have a luxurious shower with your favourite music playing. wash your hair, scrub your body, brush your teeth. lather your whole body in moisturiser, get familiar with the part between your toes, your inner thighs, the back of your neck.
11. push yourself to go for a walk. take your headphones, go to the beach and walk. smile at strangers walking the other way and be surprised how many smile back. bring your dog and observe the dog’s behaviour. realise you can learn from your dog.
12. message old friends with personal jokes. reminisce. suggest a catch up soon, even if you don’t follow through. push yourself to follow through.
14. think long and hard about what interests you. crime? sex? boarding school? long-forgotten romance etiquette? find a book about it and read it. there is a book about literally everything.
15. become the person you would ideally fall in love with. let cars merge into your lane when driving. pay double for parking tickets and leave a second one in the machine. stick your tongue out at babies. compliment people on their cute clothes. challenge yourself to not ridicule anyone for a whole day. then two. then a week. walk with a straight posture. look people in the eye. ask people about their story. talk to acquaintances so they become friends.
16. lie in the sunshine. daydream about the life you would lead if failure wasn’t a thing. open your eyes. take small steps to make it happen for you.
Librarians at The Interval | Information Amateurs Social Club
Librarians and archivists of the Bay Area: come join a tour and happy hour at The Interval, the new Fort Mason space designed by the Long Now Foundation.
What is The Interval?
It is a library whose collection is “The Manual for Civilization,” containing all the works humanity would need to begin again.
It is a cocktail bar, with unique libations reinterpreted from the past.
As with all Info Amateurs events, it is open to anyone who considers themselves a librarian, an archivist, or is a library school student — or anyone who happens to like libraries or archives. Strangers welcome.
Sunday, September 7, 6:00pm
2 Marina Boulevard, Building A
Fort Mason Center
San Francisco, California 94123
I’ve been putting together a collection of books like this for as long as I’ve worked for the library. Some of it is just homesteading stuff, but then there are others I keep because, you know, what if the apocalypse and then I can’t get this information from the library and/or internets.
A man admittedly followed and killed an innocent teenager, and was declared not guilty.
States are passing laws allowing guns in public schools.
Women are losing their reproductive rights at an increasingly alarming rate.
Riots are tearing through the streets in cities all over the world.
College tuition keeps rising, sending a generation into debt as soon as they are entering the adult world.
Education funds keep getting slashed.
Privacy no longer exists.
Corporations now have the same rights as people, and the funds to actually protect them.
Through loopholes, many U.S. Corporations pay a lower tax rate than middle class families.
States are now passing more voter ID laws and similar laws that only affect the lower class.
The corporate giant, Monsanto, has pretty much purchased and bribed its way into every grocery product on the shelf, resulting in food becoming less and less like, well, food. There are reasons Cancer rates are getting worse.
Likewise, Monsanto is making sure small American farmers are ran out of business. Also, their constant pesticide use is killing bees and other insects, causing dire environmental issues.
The mass media is more concerned with pop culture and trends, than the real issues the world is facing.
Human population is ever growing, and at rapid rates. It can’t just continue this way.
We have put so much trash in giant landfills all over our world and in our oceans. We are killing our planet.
By planet you mean we are killing ourselves.
Can we also pay attention to the fact that there aren’t just political problems going on???
I mean, seriously, I have been trying to tell everyone, BUT NO ONE IS EVEN REBLOGGING THE ARTICLES THAT COULD SAVE A LIFE
While all this is happening, the Pacific Ocean is being contaminated by not just trash, but Radiation.
There was a leak in the Fukushima power plant that has now poisoned the entire Pacific Ocean.
Some think that oh, maybe it will go away with time. Sure, it will, in about 16 million years. Yes, you read that right. Due to the long half life of iodine-129, the whole ecosystem of the Pacific Coast will be contaminated pretty much forever.
Here is the radiation levels in the ocean.
Everyone needs to wake up.
The government needs to be set straight. They were hiding this information so that people don’t panic. Well, now everyone’s gonna die and not know why.
Shit is going down, and we need to make sure EVERYONE knows EVERYTHING that is happening in this place we call home.
Holy fucking shit
fukushima is one of the scariest things going on and it’s literally getting less attention than that real houswives couple who are going to prison.
whoa whoa whoa not cool guys read pls
i’m not even typically prone to such things, but just had a mild panic attack. i don’t envy the people of the future
Page 1 of 883